Dandruff is basically characterized by an itchy dry scalp with white flakes peppering your shoulders. Possible causes of dry scalp and flakes can be hormonal imbalances, stress, frequent washing of hair, dyeing, and heat styling. Dandruff can also be caused by the imbalance of scalp bacteria. Other causes of dandruff include illness and dermatological conditions.
Dandruff doesn’t come from the scalp being dry, as most people commonly think. Instead, it comes from an overreaction to yeast commonly found on the skin, which leads to an overproduction of oils. This causes irritation, and the creation of oily, waxy flakes.
To get rid of dandruff;
- You should get anti-dandruff hair products. An anti-dandruff shampoo should contain salicylic acid to help exfoliate the scale, selenium sulphide or zinc pyrithione decrease flammation and ketoconazole to decrease the scales.
- You can rub few drops of tea tree oil into your scalp to decrease itchiness.
- You can mix equal parts of Apple Cider Vinegar with water together. Wash your hair before pouring the mixture and rubbing it in. You can rinse it off in 15 minutes.
- Coconut oil can be used in place of conditioner after washing your hair.
- Drink more water and improve your diet.